Do you know that a painting could avoid slaughter?
一幅畫救許多生命嗎?
傳說西班牙傳教士要蓋聖蓋博傳道院時,原本住在這兒的北美印第安人(native Shoshone肖肖尼族人) 想要驅逐這些入侵者,一位神父把一幅叫Our Lady of Sorrows 的畫擺在地上,印第安人看了,感動於畫之美,便伸出友誼之手,與西班牙人和平共處,這些受同化的印第安人被稱為 Gabrieliños
* One entrance of the
The 300-year-old piece hangs now in the
這幅300 歲的畫掛在教堂的內殿,我進去參觀時忘了,等到回頭想回去拍時,教堂已經關了;從我拍得這幾張,還是無法分辨那一幅才是。
San Gabriel Mission was founded in 1771 by Fathers Pedro Cambón and Ángel Somera on orders from Father Serra; it was named for Archangel Gabriel. The original site proposed was on the river now called
聖蓋博傳道院是在 1771 年9月,由 Pedro Cambón 與 Ángel Somera 神父在 Serra 神父的指示下蓋成的,取名自聖蓋博天使長。剛開始是選在現今的聖塔安娜河一帶,可是當他們抵達時,決定再找個更佳地點,就找到一個靠近聖蓋博河處比較豐沃的地點,近現在的蒙地貝羅市。
In 1776, a flood destroyed much of the crops and ruined the Mission complex, which was subsequently relocated 5 miles closer to the mountains in current
1776 年的一場水災摧毀了農作與院所,他們搬到了五英哩外比較靠山的現址,在這裡的麥產及其他農產遠遠超過其他加州的傳道院,佔了所有傳道院農產量的四分之一,聽說印第安人很會編織與造酒, 我想是地靈人傑使它變成最富有的傳道院。
* The exterior of the Church & the middle one is a model
教堂外觀,中間那一張是模型
Construction of the buildings seen today began in 1796. Father Antonio Cruzado was born and raised in
今日看到的建築物是 1796 年開始動工的,設計師是來字西班牙科多巴的 Antonio Cruzado 神父,可看出受到摩爾風格的影響極深。
The Church was heavily damaged by the
蓋聖蓋博傳道院在 1971 年列為國家級歷史區
I now realized that the historical site includes
要參觀傳道院就先搞清楚,具有歷史性 (經修補) 的建築物,包括教堂、墓園、釀酒室、花園、廚房、博物館等;除了教堂,進去這整個博物館區要收費,不貴。
現在傳道院旁邊還有另一間禮拜堂及學校,北面還有一個墓園。
* this is the entrance to the annex cemetery
外面墓園的入口處
The Museum was not open yet when we got there, so we walked around the annex cemetery and high school.
當天要進博物館區時還沒開,就先在旁邊的墓園及學校逛逛。
* 覺得外國人的墓園都很寧靜平和
After the annex cemetery, we found our way to the
逛過北面的墓園,我們找到原先的教堂,就是現在存放 Our Lady of Sorrows 這幅畫的教堂
A small room on the right of the Church is the baptistery with its original domed ceiling, floor, and walls. The hand hammered copper baptismal font was a gift from King Carlos III of
教堂裡有個受洗的小房間,圓頂、牆、與地板都是原有保存下來的,這用銅錘成的聖水器是當時西班牙國王King Carlos III 送的,現在還有在使用。
* The green sign is a warning against stealing, surveillance camera installed.
Really, what wants to go to hell so badly? Stealing in a church?
綠色的告示是說有攝影監視器,警告大家不要偷東西; 唉,都在教堂內,誰那麼想下地獄呀!
My research says, the altar was made in
祭壇是在墨西哥市作好,在 1790 年代搬來的,多彩的木雕像是西班牙作的; 1812 年的地震損毀了祭壇與十字架,雕像掉到地上,破成碎片,1813年修好。好像聽說現在都有繩子固定。
After Church, we walked around and found the high school in the back.
看完教堂逛到學校區
* Sign at school parking lot – I guess, parking is always an issue, everywhere.
學校區的停車位標示 – 我想,停車位到那兒都是問題
* It’s about time that the Museum opened – we got there too early
到的太早,總算等到博物館區開了 - 先到禮品部買票再進去參觀。
The
Closed on some holidays - make sure you check in advance.
開放時間早上9 點到下午 4:30 ,禮品部開到5 點,特殊假日不開,要去前先查好資料
As soon as you pass through the Gift Shop, it’s the garden patio where many people take pictures.
過了禮品部,先進入眼簾的是很多人拍照的水塘
Pass the garden patio and turn left is
往左邊走是墓園,墓園初建於1778年,這四周圍的牆是1940 年建的,不過地基是當年留下的。
In the middle of the Cemetery is a stone Crucifix, serving as the final resting place for some 6,000 neophytes (Indians). A small stone marker denotes the gravesite of José de Los
墓園中間有個石製的十字架,是6000 多位新入教的印第安人之最終棲息所,一塊石頭記有最後葬於此者,是在1921 年2月的百歲 (101歲) 人瑞 José de Los
* By the Cemetery is the grapevines that were planted in 1925
墓園旁邊的葡萄藤1925年才種的。
* Along the hallway to the back is Quadrangle Patio where the statue of Father Junipero Serra is. The statue was erected to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the
走過葡萄藤到後邊去,有神父Junipero Serra 的雕像,是為了傳道院150 週年紀念而立的。
* The
這是和平花園內磁磚砌成的 Our Lady of Guadalupe
The anchor off of mission's Guadalupe ship (metal was cut off of the anchor to make tools) & a cannon that was found in a nearby river after a flood in 1914.
錨是從船上拿下來的,大炮則是 1914 年在附近的河流找到的。
The Court of the Missions houses 21 mission models - made in the 1930s by Claretian clergy.
園中一處擺有21 個傳道院的模型,叫 Court of the Missions;我朋友先逛到這兒,後來看到我時跟我說,「妳進去看看,一定會喜歡。」 果然,了解我喜愛模型。
The kitchen is a reproduction – you could see what were used in early mission days as well as in
廚房的地基是原有的,但是裡面的展示是複製品,可以探知當時期西班牙與新殖民廚房的裝設。
* 4 large cisterns were soap and tallow vats - says a total capacity of 2,686 gallons. San Gabriel Mission once supplied soap and candles to most of the other Missions.
四個大缸用來作肥皂及蠟燭的,共可裝到2686 加侖,在傳道院的繁盛時期,還供給麥酒食糧、肥皂、蠟燭等給其他傳道院和當地居民
More photos 還有仙人掌花園等其他照片請看http://www.pixnet.net/album/murielee84/13757987
The entire Mission is not huge and it takes a bit over an hour to look around. I took many photos so spent more than 2 hours in it.
整個傳道院說大不大,如果很快逛逛,大約1個多小時可看完,我拍了不少照,所以晃了兩個多小時。
Exit through the Gift Shop -
從禮品部出來 -
"Mi Casa Es Su Casa"
"我家就是你家" – 禮品部看到的,好個天下一家。
The cutest thing I saw that day outside the church . . .
當天看到最可愛的就是教堂外
賣的花
虧她們想得出白菊花瓣與毛茸茸的相似性
cute flowers, dogs, I mean.www.sangabrielmission.org
* Info taken from internet and museum pamphlet – I merely translated it into Chinese. Please don't hesitate to correct me if you see any mistakes.
留言列表